Study abroad


As a student in higher education, you have various possibilities to do part of your studies abroad.  The best known such programme is Erasmus Mobility with the European partner institutions of the Erasmushogeschool (EhB), but there are many other options. This page features these and other programmes to study, undergo practical training or do research abroad. Whichever of these you opt for, you will certainly find a project where you can gain valuable experience, enhance your language proficiency and get to know other cultures inside out. 

Are you still hesitating about doing part of your studies or undergoing practical training abroad?  Then let students such as Martijn and Susana, who are spending this academic year at Erasmus College on an exchange programme convince you 


The European Life Long Learning Programme

Undergo part of your education in Journalism and Communication Management at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona? Applied linguistics at the Scuola Superiore per Mediatori Linguistici in Milan? Music at the Universität Mozarteum Salzburg or nursing at Oslo University College?

With the European Life Long Learning Programme, of which the Erasmus Programme is a part, you can spend three to ten months abroad studying or undergoing practical training as of the second year in all bachelor’s degree programmes or during the master’s degree programme. You must first choose a partner institution with which Erasmus College has an agreement. You then put together a study package together with the internationalisation coordinator on the basis of the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). The mobility period lasts 1 quarter (minimum 18 credits), 1 semester (minimum 27 credits), or 1 academic year (minimum 54 credits). Naturally, you can never earn more credits abroad than the number for which you are enrolled at Erasmus College. 

During your stay abroad, you will of course continue to be enrolled at Erasmus College, pay the normal tuition here, and retain your entitlement to a grant from the Flemish Community. You pay no extra tuition in the partner institution, in other words.  Part of the extra travel and accommodation costs abroad are covered by a grant from the European Union.  If you go to a country with a less widespread national language (EILC countries), you receive a higher amount than in a country where English, French, Spanish or German is spoken. Size of Erasmus grants (EU funds) for academic year 2010-2011: 



Student on a grant

Student not on a grant

EILC country



Non-EILC country




The courses are not always given in English.  Most partner institutions therefore organise customised intensive courses for mobility students in the language of the country.  If you go to a country where the language of instruction is a “less spoken language,” you can enrol in a European Intensive Language Course (EILC) (doc. 88 kb).  Such enrolment is free of charge and entitles students to an additional mobility grant. 

The entire application for an Erasmus Mobility programme must be filed on line by 30 March at the latest. 

This mobility programme applies not only for studies but also for practical training schemes.  Please contact your departmental internationalisation coordinator. 

More information about Erasmus Study 

More information about Erasmus Practical Training Schemes 

Assistantships for future teachers 

The Comenius Project, which is also part of the European Life Long Learning Programme, is intended for future teachers.  It offers you the opportunity to teach three months to a year abroad.  You work as an assistant for 12 hours a week in primary, secondary and adult education. The programme offers you an opportunity to hone your language proficiency, broaden your teaching insight, and acquire work experience and insight into the education systems of other EU countries. Erasmus College students can be found in schools in France, Germany, Spain, Italy and the United Kingdom. 


Erasmus mobility with the French-speaking partner institutions in Belgium 

You can study three to ten months at one of the French-speaking partnership institutions of Erasmus College through the Erasmus Belgica programme. Although you obviously do not study abroad, the same procedures apply as for the regular Erasmus mobility programme.  You therefore remain enrolled at Erasmus College and retain your entitlement to a grant.  You can study at one of the colleges in Brussels, the Liège Conservatory, the Haute Ecole Francisco Ferrer or the University of Mons.  You acquire intercultural experience on the other side of the street, whilst improving your French, and in so doing enter two items on your CV that are highly appreciated by a Belgian employer. 

You must file your application on line by 30 March. 


Do you want to study or undergo practical training in a country, university or college with which Erasmus College has an agreement in the European Life Long Learning Programme (LLP)? The college has many other cooperation agreements.  This enables you to study in Europe or undergo practical training in a company that does not fall under the LLP. For instance, you can study in Senegal, Vietnam or El Salvador, or undergo practical training in obstetrics in Morocco.  You will enjoy the same benefits as under an Erasmus Mobility programme, but you will not receive a European grant.  The cooperation agreement for practical training is signed directly with the company or the host organisation in question.  Your application for such an exchange programme must reach the Erasmus College Internationalisation office by 15 March. 

Read also about the practical training schemes and research programmes abroad. 

For all questions about practical training schemes and projects abroad, contact the Internationalisation office and the departmental internationalisation coordinators. 


Gepubliceerd onder: